Thursday, March 29, 2012

Retired policeman lives his passion Shanmughan did not let his passion to sketch and write poems die even while serving as an officer


Retired policeman lives his passion

Shanmughan did not let his passion to sketch and write poems die even while serving as an officer



We get so busy trying to balance our professional and personal lives. But while achieving this perfect balance, we miss out on the little things that make us happy. We chase our dreams but forget to live our passion. But retired cop at the Union home ministry.
Before his retirement in 2007, this 65-year-old artist and poet stayed in the government quarters at Wadala. Now, a Vashi resident for the past four years, he continues his passion. He started sketching from class VI and would draw anything he saw around in few hours. “Seeing my artwork, one of my art teachers gave me the title of ‘Das’. My art was much appreciated through my schooling years which boosted my confidence,” Shanmughan recalls.


While in college, he participated in an exhibition that displayed paintings done by students. He showcased three sketches - Abraham Lincoln, Jawaharlal Nehru and an alsatian dog which shocked everyone as he had never received any formal training. “I was surprised as the college authorities displayed them at the entrance of the exhibition. Many people appreciated my work and were astonished to know that I haven’t had any formal training. It is just out of passion that I developed this art and taken it ahead,” Shanmughan mentioned.
“Sketching gives me a lot of serenity, especially after an accident I suffered two years ago. It made me realise that I am still ‘able’. I love my sketch of an old tree in Mahim without leaves and also a horse I spotted at Mahalakshmi race course.” The specialty of these sketches is that Shanmughan he has drawn them without using an eraser. His most stunning sketch is the dark clouds that gather near the Vashi bridge during the monsoons.
With so many years of experience, Shanmughan does not take more than an hour to make a particular sketch. In 1991-92 he started sketching daily and began writing poetry too. Most of his poems are inspired either by nature or the people around him. Shanmughan has written around 50 poems till date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Effective Home Remedies for Migraine Relief

Introduction: Migraine headaches are characterized by intense, throbbing pain, often accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, ...