Friday, January 27, 2012

Float, not Fight Swami Sukhabodhananda

Float, not Fight
Swami Sukhabodhananda

Enjoy this moment and do not waste time brooding over the bad yesterday. Tomorrow may be even worse. One should learn to enjoy little things, for they exist in abundance.
Along with a few students of mine, I had gone for a holiday in Hawaii after a hectic tour of North America. I was enjoying the beautiful beach in Hawaii. My brother’s friend taught me how to float in the ocean. It was a great experience. In spite of being in the midst of huge waves, I relaxed and floated along with them. Prior to learning to float, I used to be hit strongly by the waves. The moment I learnt to float, I was able to easily dance along with the waves.
Dead bodies do not drown but only people who are alive drown. That is because they fight with the ocean. In life, we should learn to float and not fight. This was a great learning experience.
In martial arts like judo, we observe how humble and relaxed the fighters are. Learn to relax. Even if you have to fight, be alert and relaxed. For example, if you encounter a snake and are tense, you may fall on the snake and harm yourself. Alternatively, if you are alert and relaxed, you may not have to kill the snake; it may just pass away.
Fight when required; your fight will then be from a flow of relaxation.
Whilst learning to float in the ocean, I asked myself — when a powerful wave approaches shouldn’t I be running away from it? However, after having learnt to float, even when a powerful wave came, I was able to float very easily along with the wave.
Similarly, when your boss is shouting at you, just keep your body relaxed and be alert to what he is saying. When you are alert, your mind is calm. Your body is a good anchor to play with. Just relax any tense portion in your body. The intention to relax, will make the body relax. Remember that a tensed body creates a tensed mind and a tense mind impacts the body again. Make relaxation a part of life even when you eat, take a bath, walk. Let all your movements have a quality of relaxation.
www.prasannatrust.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Effective Home Remedies for Migraine Relief

Introduction: Migraine headaches are characterized by intense, throbbing pain, often accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, ...