Thursday, November 19, 2015

'Stop chasing me', Dawood Ibrahim told former Delhi top cop Neeraj Kumar

India's most-wanted terrorist Dawood Ibrahim had called senior IPS officer and former Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar weeks before his retirement and said 'stop chasing me'.

"One day I received a call on my personal mobile in the last week of June 2013 from an 'unknown number'. It was in all probability the Don himself. He said: 'Kya, saheb, aap retire hone ja rahe ho. Ab to peechha chhod do.' (What is this, sir? You are about to retire. Isn't it time you left me alone?) The caller hung up before I could respond," writes Neeraj Kumar in a chapter called 'My conversations with Dawood Ibrahim" in his book "Dial D for Don', which will be released by Penguin books shortly.

The book gives a detailed account of 11 top operations of his career, mostly related to the underworld, 1993 Mumbai serial blasts and criminal gangs across the country.

The 1976 batch IPS officer writes that he had three long conversations with Dawood in June 10, 20 and June 22 in 1994, when he was probing the 1993 serial blasts in CBI, during which Dawood tried to portray himself as 'innocent', who had no knowledge about the serial blasts conspiracy.

"The don spoke in a typical Mumbai accent, with confidence and an utter lack of fear. He made no attempt to please me, as is the wont of certain criminals when they are dealing with state authorities. He simply said: 'Saheb, iske pehle ki main kuchh bataoon, pehle aap batayiye ki aapko kya lagta hai ki maine Mumbai mein blast karwaye hain?' (Sir, before I tell you anything, would you please tell me whether you too feel that I organized the blasts in Mumbai?)," Kumar says.

"....he said: 'Saheb, mujhe yeh sab karna hota to mujhe hathiyar bhejne ki zaroorat nahi hoti. Hamare ladkon ke paas kaafi hathiyar pade hain.' (Sir, if I had to do all this, I need not have sent any weapons. My boys have enough at hand.)," Dawood told Kumar.

To this, Kumar asked Dawood if "his boys had that much RDX to cause serial blasts?".

"A flustered don fumbled for words for a moment and replied: 'Dekho, saheb, agar main yeh sab karta na to itni safai se karta ki police ke paas akkha saboot mere khilaf nahi milta. Aap ye baat samjho. Aap to CBI mein ho. Ek baat aur, main bhi apni poori family ko wahan se hata deta jaisa Tiger ne kiye la hai. Meri ma, meri behan, sab udhar Bambai mein hi baitha hai'—thus evading my question on RDX. (Look, sir, if I had to carry out such an operation, I would have done it with such finesse that the police wouldn't have got a whit of evidence against me. You should appreciate this point since you are in the CBI. And, most importantly, I too would have moved my family members out as Tiger did. My mother and sisters are all there in Mumbai.)

Kumar says that he didn't buy Dawood's ploy as there was enough evidence against the underworld don.

The ace investigator's book also gives a detailed account of how CBI, with the help of MEA, as part of covert operation, brought Yakub Memon's family to India from Dubai while Pakistan's ISI made every effort to thwart this operation. Memon was hanged to death in July this year for his role in 1993 blasts.

Kumar also trashed reports that India had made a deal with Yakub Memon's family in order to bring them back from Pakistan.

"No assurances were given to any of them at any stage. All claims of the Memons having been lured to return with promises of a lenient view being taken are bogus. I say this with all the sincerity at my command," Kumar writes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Effective Home Remedies for Migraine Relief

Introduction: Migraine headaches are characterized by intense, throbbing pain, often accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, ...