Thursday, June 23, 2016

`NEVER TOO OLD TO WORK', SAY SENIOR CITIZENS





At 62, Dindayal Jain is a retired bank employee. But that has not restricted him to a rocking chair and newspapers.He has taken up work as a delivery boy now and has no plans of staying home all day . “I was concerned about how I would live out my days and knew I would miss interacting with people. My friend owns a pizza outlet in the city, so a week after my retirement I joined him as a pizza delivery boy . My family is supportive because they knew I love to ride a two-wheeler and since the bank I worked at was walking distance from my house, I didn't get to ride too often,“ shares Dindayal. “When my pizza is delivered by Dindayal, I have to ensure that my living room is clean or else he starts advising me like my mom does,“ smiles Yogesh Yadav, a regular customer who has grown fond of the new delivery boy. And Dindayal is not the only working person at his age.

Her grey hair tied up in a neat bun, Shyamala Rao gracefully informs customers at a local women's gym about various schemes and offers. “It was my daughter who encouraged me to invest my time in doing something constructive. It was quite difficult for me as I have been a housewife all my life. I considered homebased jobs stitching or tuition, but my daughter insisted that I step out. My colleagues are very amicable and so are the customers,“ says Shyamala Rao, 62.

Rehan Khan, a 65-year-old retired teacher, has started an online store where people can sell and buy various home-made products. “Due to health issues my kids were against my working after retirement. But it was difficult for me to do nothing at home. For years I have seen my wife making pickles at home, so I decided to sell them. But I could not go from doorto-door, so I started an online shop,“ says Rehan, about how he got started. Elsewhere, 66-year-old retired teacher Vishwanath Rao has started a dance academy with his wife. “We play dance videos and let the students imitate the moves.Youngsters are enjoying this because they are their own teachers here,“ smiles Vishwanath Rao.

Girish Chawla, the owner of a supermarket, prefers employing senior citizens. “Presently, I have employed three senior citizens and they are more sincere than my young employees. The only concession they seek is flexible working hours, but once they are at the workplace they outperform their younger counterparts. In the presence of seniors, the girls feel safe and shop freely without any time restraint,“ informs Girish.“Earlier, seniors preferred jobs like sewing or gardening, but now they want to learn something new,“ he adds.

Endorsing working after retirement, Dr V i v e k Chandrakar says, “Most of the health issues during old age are aggravated due to psychological s u r r e n d e r.People who take up jobs after retirement stay physically and mentally active and fit.“

 कचऱ्यातून बनवा लहान मुलांची खेळणी 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Effective Home Remedies for Migraine Relief

Introduction: Migraine headaches are characterized by intense, throbbing pain, often accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, ...