Sunday, September 8, 2013

The stylish and humble Irfan Pathan tells Amin Ali how he handles fame money, power and attention


“Fame is God’s gift”

The stylish and humble Irfan Pathan tells Amin Ali how he handles fame money, power and attention



    Cricketer Irfan Pathan is suave, grounded, level-headed and has a lot of patience. He was selected for the Indian team that won the Champion’s Trophy recently, but suffered an injury and couldn’t take part in any of the games in England. This stylish Pathan says his decade in cricket has been a valuable experience in life, one that has taught him how to handle fame, money and relationships. Excerpts...
Getting injured without playing a single game can damage the spirit. How do you motivate yourself during such times? Patience and hope. Keep working hard and be hopeful is my mantra. Keep telling yourself that hard work will pay. Even when I was out of the team, I used to tell myself: ‘I will be back’. But mere self belief is not enough. It has to be accompanied by hard work. Only then will your belief turn into real achievement.
You peaked pretty early in life. Fame followed. A lot of people become brash in such situations... As long as you remember the fame that you get is God’s gift for your talent, you will be grounded. I come from a very humble background. My father and mother are simple God-fearing people. They constantly remind me of my roots.
How do you keep your cool when fans mob you? Anyone who meets you or waves at you does it with the hope that you would reciprocate. They deserve respect. I always keep that in mind.
You come across as a grounded person... Everyone should have at least one friend, or one family member who has a calming influence. He should always guide you and advise you. I am lucky to have my parents and brother Yusuf around. Such company helps in taking off all the pressure. I never feel tired or get bored when they are around.
Contracts bring big bucks. You are a top draw. It often makes people arrogant... Everyone should like and respect money. I like it too when my profession allows me to make a decent amount. But I have never lusted for money. People who think they have made some cash should always remember that the guy next to you might have far more than what you can ever imagine.

We don’t hear stories of link-ups or postmatch revelry when it comes to you... I head home after the game’s over. A room full of doting friends and relatives is far better than a club full of unknown people. You have to make right and smart choices in life. Some people hardly spend time with their families at home. They think family dinners in expensive restaurants are equal to a happy family.
Isn’t a young celebrity expected to have a series of affairs? Being a celebrity doesn’t mean you act in a particular or a typical way. You can still go home after work and spend time with your family rather than date a number of glamorous women.
Youngsters these days crave fame and popularity. Any advice for them? A lot of ‘stars’ see their 20-30 ft-high billboards and think that is their real height, even when they are merely 5 ft tall. I have always remembered that I am only 6 ft tall, and that has allowed me to be real.

QUICK BYTES Fashion... Became a part of my life pretty late. I grew into fashion rather than with it. Initially, just wearing new clothes was fashionable. When I started travelling, I learnt and developed a sense of style.
Define your style... Denims and tees as everyday wear, shirts for meetings and kurta salwar for Friday prayers.
What’s your style guide? I look at a movie or a magazine and if I like a look, I browse through shops to get that look. You should be ready to shop anywhere without any brand hassles to be really stylish.
What’s your colour? I have started liking bright new shades of blue in lowers. I also have a lot of white shirts.
Essential accessories for men are... Gadgets and watches. They say everything about your taste. Your phone, laptop and watch can make a far more powerful statement than striking yellow shoes.
What’s your passion? Driving. I find excuses to drive, be it from the airport to home or taking my family out to the market, I am always game for a drive.
Preferred vacations... On a beach. Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi, Australia or West Indies.
Most stylish cricketer Yuvraj Singh.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Effective Home Remedies for Migraine Relief

Introduction: Migraine headaches are characterized by intense, throbbing pain, often accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, ...