Sunday, October 16, 2011

Interview with Rutuja Divekar, dietion of Kareena Kapoor

Clients to stick to diets, and motivate them to stay on track. The five professionals we spoke to could certainly answer to that description, given that they work with a vast number of clients, including many celebrities, and between them, have an unrivalled hoard of experience, knowledge and information. But when we quizzed them about feeling unmotivated and what they do after a binge, they responded with rare candour, providing insights into how some of India's fittest individuals live and work.
We think we could all learn from that. Here's to living well.
loading
Rutuja Divekar

FITNESS EXPERTS ARE PERCEIVED AS HARD TASKMASTERS who push their `LIFE IS NOT A DICTATORSHIP where if you eat a gulab jamun, it's an offence that can't be forgiven'


What is your routine?
Diet: I eat simple, homemade Maharashtrian food and fruits and veggies that are in season. I start and end my day early, so dinner is always before 7.30 pm. I don't own a TV ­ dining and TV don't mix. My energies are focused on counting nutrients, not calories.

Exercise: Even with exercise, I don't count calories and count the learning instead. I pursue exercise for the joy of it. I work towards learning something new, so be it yoga, weight training, etc., the idea is to challenge the body and mind beyond its perceived limits. I learn Bharatnatyam and classical singing so that there is an overall development of the body.

How do you stick to your routine on holiday?

I don't stick to `routine' on a holiday.

Isn't that the concept of a holiday?
How do you stick to your routine when you travel for work?


I mostly travel out of Mumbai for workshops and talks. We time them in a way that allows me to take flights after breakfast and choose hotels close to open spaces with restaurants serving local fresh food.

What do you eat at parties?
Everything that appeals to me if it's a breakfast, lunch or afternoon party. If it's at night, then I don't go. If it's important to be there, I leave home only after my dinner, and at the party, eat the most wholesome and freshly prepared dish.

What is the hardest thing to resist?
I don't live by laws; I work within a broad framework of leading a disciplined lifestyle. So there really is nothing that I can't do and therefore have to resist. It's not a dictatorship after all where if you eat a chocolate pastry or a gulab jamun, it's an offence that can't be forgiven.

How often do you binge?
Never. I nurture my appetite, eat on time and my stomach is well fed, so it's never in a mood for bingeing.
When's the last time you ate: a) Sweet food: The day before, I was at a wedding in Dhampur, UP. I ate a local mithai made from gur.
b) Deep-fried food: Yesterday. Was still in Dhampur, went to a local home for breakfast and had fresh pakodas with chai made from their cow's milk.
c) Junk food: Don't remember.

One restaurant / dish you always turn to when you want a healthy meal?
Khichdi, easily the easiest `comfort' food. Among restaurants, has to be Cafe Mangii in Khar for their fresh pastas.

Is fitness about looking good or feeling good?
Fitness is about keeping your body in good shape to pursue your work, commitments and your passion, hobbies, etc., without running out of energy ­ both physically and mentally.
The good looks are just a byproduct.

What are the common complaints from clients? What do you advise, and is it based on your own experience?
I am blessed with a cheerful lot of clients, so cribbing is pretty uncommon. Keeping fit means learning to sort your priorities and planning ahead to eat right and work out, given the limitations of work/ family/ time.

How did you build up the fitness habit?
I inherited it from my family. That's why I feel strongly that families have the maximum influence on the way of life that kids adopt.

What do you do when you wake up feeling unmotivated?

I shut the chatter in my mind, walk to the bathroom and brush my teeth.
Post that I am filled with motivation and enthusiasm for the day.

What is your concept of fitness?
It's a means of leading a fulfilling and wholesome life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Effective Home Remedies for Migraine Relief

Introduction: Migraine headaches are characterized by intense, throbbing pain, often accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, ...