Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Designer speak The new age designer’s pieces speak of history, modern art and patriotism

Designer speak
The new age designer’s pieces speak of history, modern
art and patriotism

I come from a family of goldsmiths and I loved metals since childhood. Because I was always good at drawing, the transition into designing jewellery came naturally to me. I went to college in London to further hone my skills. Creativity is something that can't be taught, it has to come naturally and I am lucky that it runs in the family.
The first piece I designed was a snake baazuband, an armlet. According to me, every designer has to be an observer and I am a keen observer. Be it nature, movies or people -- I observe and am inspired by everything. When I saw Titanic, I wanted to create a piece that was a tribute to the film. People have written books, made movies but nobody's ever designed a piece dedicated to it. I love challenges, so I took it up and created eight pieces with
Titanic as the theme.
Also for my third year at the India International Jewellery Week, I have designed pieces inspired from our National Anthem, Jana Gana Mana. For me, when I think of the National Anthem, I only imagine Lata Mangeshkar and her soulful voice. I have tried to put that into my designs.
My grandfather and my father both were respected artisans, who taught me all the tricks of the trade. Their knowledge has helped me translate any design into a solid piece. I am involved in every aspect of the manufacturing and now my kaarigars have become
accustomed to my style. Now even if I just scribble on paper, they
understand what I want.
For one of my designs, I used pink diamonds for women to be aware of breast cancer. I try to spread a message through my pieces, as I think they are effective tools.


2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Effective Home Remedies for Migraine Relief

Introduction: Migraine headaches are characterized by intense, throbbing pain, often accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, ...