Sunday, September 30, 2012

She’s got the heart for a cyclothon Reena Raju had a heart transplant in 2009. Since then, she does something special every World Heart Day

She’s got the heart for a cyclothon
Reena Raju had a heart transplant in 2009. Since then, she does something special every World Heart Day

Proving that determination is at the heart of all success stories, the first female heart transplant patient of Karnataka, Reena Raju, took part in a cyclothon on Saturday.
The event, called Pedal for a Healthy Heart, was organised to coincide with the World Heart Day. The cyclothon, which was organised by BuzzinTown, saw several Bangaloreans taking part in it. It was a special task for Raju, who received a heart transplant in 2009 at the age of 29. But on Saturday, she was all about cycling.
“I was able to cycle for eight kilometres. I had to stop during the event about two or three times because my legs were cramping, but it was great,” she says unassumingly. For Raju, the World Heart Day is unlike any other day as it reminds her of the gift she received that helped her defeat a seemingly impossible situation.
“They had written me off. Every time the World Heart Day comes along, I do something special. I used to cycle to school all the time and then my heart condition came into the fore and I couldn’t do anything. At one point, I could not even lift my eyelids. Then post-surgery, I was able to cycle and jog. I take part in such events because I was sent a message about organ donation and also about the importance of having a healthy lifestyle,” she adds.
While organ donation saved her life, Raju realises that there is still a lack of awareness about its importance in the state. “Tamil Nadu has an active heart transplant programme because there is awareness in that state. People here know about eye and kidney donation but don’t know that vital organs can also be donated. I always say that I don’t have a Hindu heart or Muslim heart or Christian heart but rather I have an angel’s heart,” says Raju.
She elaborates that many are apprehensive of donating organs because of their religious beliefs. “I went through the process myself and I know that everyone from every faith is fighting for their lives and waiting for a heart transplant. If people can understand and if I can play a part in it, that would be great,” she muses.
She says that she sees it as her own responsibility to show people that organ donation is important and also act as a beacon of hope for those still awaiting a new heart. “Within one month of my heart transplant, my appetite increased. I started exercising and cycling. My life definitely changed for the better. And people think if they get a new heart, somehow their feelings will change. I can say that is not the case at all. I played hockey before my heart problem and I still play hockey and I definitely still love my loved ones,” she laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Effective Home Remedies for Migraine Relief

Introduction: Migraine headaches are characterized by intense, throbbing pain, often accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, ...