Monday, April 9, 2012

The longer you live in Mumbai, the better you treat others

The longer you live in Mumbai, the better you treat others

Last evening, when I was leaving home to meet a friend, I saw an old man across the street. Immediately, he stopped and smiled. As I walked up to him, my neighbour asked some customary questions, and then again: ‘Are you fine?’
What? I had just then told him I was fine. Then, I realised I had not opened my door till 5pm to pick my newspapers, and he, on seeing me at 7pm, thought I might not be feeling well. The old couple who kept to themselves knew my timings.
All this while, I had thought this is a busy city where people have no time to even smile at each other. Even if they had, they just don’t bother. And this old man, with whom I have not spoken much except for the pleasantries exchanged in the elevator or when we are disturbed by salesmen, asks me why I was going to office so late.
As I sat in the train thinking about this, it dawned on me that despite being busy, many people I have come across in the city — on trains, restaurants, airport or taxi stands — have been sweet. I don’t remember seeing people fight for a taxi. If two people hail a taxi and it stops in between them, both would rush, but most likely not fight.
Everyone is busy. But here, they also know others could be equally busy. So, while rushing to office or returning home tired, I have not seen people fight over trivial issues. Stamp on someone’s shoe by mistake, he may feel irritated, but will not carry a hostile look for the rest of the journey...
Speaking of trains reminds of this elderly man I have often seen while travelling. Since he looks old, we offer him seat. But he would not have it. Politely, he presses your shoulder insisting that you sit and says with a smile, “No problem. I can stand.” How many other cities can boast such camaraderie among strangers!
Hours later, still thinking about this, I asked my friend how he finds the city. Unlike me who stays in suburban Dahisar, he is in Mahim. As if he was just waiting for someone to broach the subject, he went on about how he finds the shopkeepers, taxi drivers and others very kind and helpful.
My friend, who is from Kolkata, said, “The way a person talks to a waiter in a restaurant, we can guess how long he/she has been in Mumbai.” The longer you have been here, the better you treat others — what if the side-effect is that you have joined another big realty race.
Later, when I was returning home around 1am, near the Andheri signal I saw a few rag pickers playing cricket. The ball came under the wheel of a car. As one of the boys came, the car moved ahead a little so that he could pick the ball. No shouting? I thought someone from the several cars/ taxis and auto rickshaws would shout at the boy. But no noise. Many of us treat nicely those who are already better off but become indifferent to others. But not here, it seems.
For political or business reasons the poor may be exploited, but at an individual level, when even the downtrodden is not looked with contempt, there is charm in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Effective Home Remedies for Migraine Relief

Introduction: Migraine headaches are characterized by intense, throbbing pain, often accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, ...